Blackford County Schools
Opening flag ceremony at basketball game


To save you time and a phone call, we’ve corralled the answers to the questions we hear most often from our Bruin community. Of course, if we haven’t addressed your concerns, please give us a call—we’re always happy to help.

How do I report my child’s absence or arrange for him/her to sign out early?
Please report all absences by calling our office no later than 9:30 a.m. on the day of the absence. Students may sign out early with parental and office permission. We require students who return to school on the same day to sign back in at the front office.

Back to Top
Can students use cell phones or other electronic devices on campus?
Yes. We allow students to use phones and electronics outside educational time or if directed by a teacher during class time. We may confiscate devices used during instructional time without teacher approval. We are not responsible for damaged, lost, or stolen devices.

Back to Top
Does BHS allow visitors on campus?
We welcome and encourage visits to our school to meet (by appointment) with guidance staff, administration, and teachers. We require all visitors to park in the front and sign in at the main office to receive an ID badge to wear while in the building. We do not permit student visitors unless they are part of a school program. We consider any unauthorized persons trespassing and require immediate exit of the building and grounds when requested to do so by any staff member of the Blackford County School Corporation.

Back to Top
What is the procedure for picking up my child after school?
Enter via the north entrance, proceed around the building, and line up on the south side (student parking lot) of the building facing east. All automobile traffic will exit using the same entrance. Students riding the bus will board on the north side of the building.

Back to Top
My child is the victim of or has witnessed bullying. What can we do?
We do not tolerate bullying. Ever. We encourage students to talk to a teacher or a member of our administration or to complete the confidential complaint form provided under the Student Quick Links category on the Home page. We define bullying as follows:
  • Intimidation—either physical or mental
  • Threats of any kind
  • Assault—verbal, physical, mental, or toward property
  • Online postings meant to insult, ridicule, or embarrass

Back to Top
How will I be notified if school is closed or delayed due to inclement weather conditions?
We will notify families through the School Messenger Service via phone or text messaging. Please be sure your contact information is current to receive these notifications. In cases of inclement weather, we will also notify the following radio stations: WWWO Muncie 93.5 FM, WMDH 102.5 FM, WLBC Muncie 104.1FM/1340 AM, WOWO Ft. Wayne 1190 AM, and WMRI Marion 106.9 FM.

Back to Top
Does BHS enforce a dress code?
Yes. We consider appearance an important factor in creating a productive learning environment. Please refer to the Student Handbook found under the Student Quick Links category on the Home page for specific rules.

Back to Top
I understand there is a random drug testing policy. How does this work?
For the health and safety of everyone on our campus, we conduct random drug testing for students participating in any extracurricular activities or who apply for a driving permit. Please refer to the student handbook found under the Student Quick Links category on the Home page for more information.

Back to Top
What does my child need to have in order to drive and park at the school?
We require students to be properly licensed and to display a BHS parking tag on the vehicle. We reserve the right to suspend driving privileges to students who fail to obtain a tag or follow all driving rules and protocols.

Back to Top
What is the book rental policy?
We purchase books according to enrollment figures at the time of registration. Consequently, schedule changes can become quite costly. As such, we will not grant rental refunds on schedule changes after the beginning of the first semester or when students drop a course, quit school, or are expelled.
Back to Top

2392 North State Road 3, Hartford City, IN 47348

P: (765) 348-7560